Blogger Migration into existing Permalink structure in Wordpress

Hi, Your DIY Tutorial Guide makes the migration sound so easy. Thank you. I’m about to make a big migration from Blogger to an existing Wordpress account and want to be sure I’m doing the right thing before I start off messing with a big amount of posts with many back links. (> 150)

Since the permalink structure is already set in the existing Wordpress account like this domain-in-wordpress/%postname% (and there posts there live too, so I want to keep this structure) can I omitt the step that says to change the permalink structure after the blogger import to domain-in-wordpress/%year%/%monthnum%/%postname% ? The custom domain at Blogger looks like this example.com, the custom domain at Wordpress like this: example.info. Do I still need to upload the fix.php? Am not too sure if I need to use the plugin? Or if dealing the problem with a 301 redirect in a .htaccess would do all the job?

Am grateful for any hints and help. Thanks.

@sunkid

1. You can keep the /%postname/% permalink structure on WordPress.

2. Yes, fix.php file is required. It will change the imported blogger posts slug which helpful for redirection.

3. “blogger to WordPress redirection” plugin is required to redirect URLs from example.com to example.info. .htaccess rules will be helpful to redirect archives, labels and feed URL.

Thanks,

–Nitun

@nitunlanjewar

Very valuable info. Appreciate it! I’ll be taking the plunge soon. Thanks !

Hi, there were a few mishaps while migrating the images as many of them were corrupt (too big, wrong names, types) and stopped the import many times. After trying for quite a while unsuccessfully, i decided to switch off media import for the rest of the posts in the code. THe content is now imported, images are there visually but they all link to Blogger.

What happens to the images which I migrate manually? How can I redirect the image links from Blogger to WP without losing any juice? Does the Plugin “Blogger to WP redirection” still takes care of this?
Thanks.

@sunkid

Blogger to WordPress plugin do not redirect images links.

You just keep those images as it is on blogger.com server. It will server automatically from blogger to WordPress blog. But make sure you never delete blogger.com account, otherwise you will lose all those images.

Thanks,

–Nitun

Nitun, so far, everything worked PERFECT!! I’m so happy the redirect worked so far just like how you described.

There is one thing that didn’t work. Redirecting the archives. I pasted the code like suggested but nothing happens. My htaccess looks like this:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

#Redirect archives
RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})_([0-9]{1,2})_([0-9]{1,2})_archive.html$ $1/$2/ [L,R=301]
#Redirect labels/categories
RewriteRule ^search/label/(.*)$ category/$1/ [L,R=301]

Do you have a clue? Thanks!!

Quite a number of 404 pages appeared. I found out that during the import Wordpress had a habit of eating up the urls. So an alphabet or words can be missing. I was using the fix.php as described. Yet it yields wrong urls. Do you have a hint or do I have to edit the urls in WP manually?