Buddypress Group Wall Uploads - Comment

I’m not sure if there is opposing logic to why this doesn’t seem to work this way but…

On Facebook when a user types a message and uploads and image to submit… that message/comment is displayed with that image when clicked on.

In rtMedia it seems that no message is attached with the image upload. Instead, you’d have to manually edit the image to type a message or upload from a different location (maybe… haven’t checked). That kinda stinks. I’d like my users to go to a “wedding photos” group and then type on that activity wall… “my favorite wedding photo” and then have that message associated with that image if clicked on showing the full image or later on in a gallery of some sort in the users profile.

Additionally, comments from other users on an image posted to the group wall don’t seem to become associated with the image. So everyone who types “I love this image” to the original poster will only have that be displayed in the activity stream rather then associated with a comment on the image itself.

Is there a way I can get this functionality or is there logic behind why it’s not handled this way? Or maybe a feature request? Thanks

1 Like

Hmm… comments seem to be attached to the images properly now. I’m not sure why they weren’t working before.

I also found that in the little image thumbnail is where you edit the title and description to the image. Kinda hidden and overly complicated… still makes since to me that rather then having it that way have it display whatever is written in the post. As far as the “title”… really isn’t important on my site. I’d rather have it work like FB. I’ve found that my members on other sites want as few of steps as humanly possible and familiar as well.

Hello @JLS,

Please, find my answers below to your questions:

In rtMedia it seems that no message is attached with the image upload. Instead, you’d have to manually edit the image to type a message or upload from a different location (maybe… haven’t checked).

I guess you want the BuddyPress activity post content to be attached to the media you are posting with the same activity. I would like to clarify that BuddyPress post content and rtMedia media description both are different things.

BuddyPress post content is specific to that feed post. It is not considered as the media description. If you want to attach the media description from activity post then you can add it while uploading media the same way as you do in the profile media.

Here is the screenshot:

Is there a way I can get this functionality or is there logic behind why it’s not handled this way? Or maybe a feature request?

I also found that in the little image thumbnail is where you edit the title and description to the image. Kinda hidden and overly complicated… still makes since to me that rather then having it that way have it display whatever is written in the post. As far as the “title”… really isn’t important on my site.

There is not any functionality available to bind post content with media description for now.

However, you can try to achieve this using some custom code by yourself. But first, you will need to define your requirement clearly by checking multiple scenarios.

For example, try attaching multiple media with same post update. In this case, will you prefer attaching same text to each and every media attached to the post? FB do not attach the text to media if you upload multiple media.

Please, let me know if you have any doubts.
Thanks

For example, try attaching multiple media with same post update. In this case, will you prefer attaching same text to each and every media attached to the post? FB do not attach the text to media if you upload multiple media

I’d want it to handle it the same way Facebook does. If one image was uploaded I’d want it to attach the buddypress text. If multiple images are uploaded then it shows the comment in the stream with both images and no description individually attached. Then if they want the description then can click the edit button from the image lightbox or whatever and add it from there. All the same functionality as Facebook.

What is the point of the image title? Is that just to display in the feed and for SEO or is the title shown elsewhere that I’m not seeing? Just curious. All these things add steps which I understand is how many or most might want it but in my experience with communities is they are almost a dying thing due to Facebook etc. People love Facebook and the other social media sites so to get them on our site I want to give them that same ease and family functionality as what they are used to but in a different environment with different features.

1 Like

Hello @JLS,

As I mentioned in the previous reply, rtMedia does not have any option available to bind the post content as media description for single uploads.

Please, let me know if you want to develop your own custom code to achieve this. I will check with the team and will try to guide you with the available hook options to help you further.

Thanks

I am very interested in achieving exactly what @JLS is trying to do. We’d like it to be the exact way Facebook does it to prevent confusion. Has there been any more discussion done on this or a solution?

Thank you.

As of now… the edit tool for the upload that gives the option to select a title and description doesn’t show in the lightbox. I think that since I pasted code to prevent the file name from being show in the activity thread below the pic… it’s also not showing in the lightbox. If there is no currently doing what @JLS wants, is there at least an option to remove that edit tool while uploading?

Hello @Love_Chard,

Has there been any more discussion done on this or a solution?

We discussed this with the team. There is not any custom code / library available for this as of now. However, we would love to guide you on rtMedia hooks if required to point out in a right direction for the custom code.

As of now… the edit tool for the upload that gives the option to select a title and description doesn’t show in the lightbox.

The description added to the media while uploading it, will always be visible in the lightbox.

I think that since I pasted code to prevent the file name from being show in the activity thread below the pic… it’s also not showing in the lightbox.

The CSS to hide title from BuddyPress activity won’t be responsible removing the media description from the lightbox.

Could you please mention the code which you have added to prevent title showing from the activity? Also, share the screenshot where you think the title or description is missing.

is there at least an option to remove that edit tool while uploading?

To hide the edit media ( title + description ) tool while uploading media, you can try adding below custom CSS box at rtMedia > Settings > Custom CSS tab:

.plupload_file_name_wrapper + span {
    display: none;
}

Thanks.