CPU suddendly high and Mysql showing consuming more than 50%

Today morning my server is suddenly showing very high CPU usage and mysql shows to consume around 50% CPU . Here is the TOP Result

I have crashplan installed on server for backup and redis cache .

I had not made any changes and the CPU usage is happening automatically …

Let me know how do we move forward to debug this on urgent basis ? The website still loads and running … the backend is not accessible … http://www.jagoinvestor.com/wp-admin/

The website is hosted on soyoustart and here is the snapshot of the

The 5 processes using the most RAM

Order RAM usage
/usr/local/crashplan/jre/bin/java -Dfile.encoding?UTF-8 -Dapp?CrashPlanService -DappBaseName?CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx1024m -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl?300 -D 5532684 KB
/usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir?/usr --datadir?/var/lib/mysql --plugin-dir?/usr/lib/mysql/plugin --user?mysql --log-error?/var/log/mysql/error.log --pid-fi 2679844 KB
/usr/bin/redis-server 127.0.0.1:6379 2596380 KB
php-fpm: pool www 891324 KB
php-fpm: pool www 882396 KB

Please help me …

Perhaps you are under some kind of attack.

Try installing WPS-Hide-Login in order to change your login URL from wp-login.php to something else (I use a random string for every blog, and in a Google Spreadsheet I record the URLs).

Then in /var/www/domain.com/conf/nginx/nginx.conf I put:

location /wp-login.php {
    return 403;
}

If the overload is due to some brute force attack, this should solve your problem.

1 Like

I faced similar issue that looks like MariaDB bug. In my case CPU usage was above 90% when innodb_buffer_pool_size was less than 8M in /etc/mysql/my.cnf, raising it to 8M or above resolved the issue.