Problem with Buddypress activity line after large-ish media upload?

Hi

I am encountering a problem on the Buddypress timeline, after testing the media upload of around 20 or more images in 1 upload.

The upload works okay, and is presented in the media area okay.

However, on the timeline, where the media update is shown along with all 21 or so thumbnails - the activity line is really struggling to display posts after that update. Usually, the page / activity items load nicely. After the update, items below the media update are very sluggish to display, or won’t display at all.

I am using Kleo theme and have contacted their support already. They have told me this part is handled by rtMedia and I should contact you guys. Hopefully you can assist.

I think the problem might be just that page trying to load all of the many thumbnails, because this does not happen with smaller / less files media uploads.

I was wondering if there is a way to control generally a maximum number of thumbnails from a media update, to display on the timeline? If I can reduce the thumbs to say 7 maximum, I think this problem can be avoided.

I hope someone can offer some assistance with this, many thanks.

Hello @AdamK,

However, on the timeline, where the media update is shown along with all 21 or so thumbnails - the activity line is really struggling to display posts after that update.

I tried to regenerate this issue on our end but it is working fine for me. Please, once try to regenerate the issue with other plugin deactivated and default theme of WordPress enabled just to troubleshoot the issue.

You can also try the same on the demo site - http://demo.rtmedia.io/

I was wondering if there is a way to control generally a maximum number of thumbnails from a media update, to display on the timeline? If I can reduce the thumbs to say 7 maximum, I think this problem can be avoided.

Yes, definitely. There is an option to limit the number of thumbnails on BuddyPress activity feed.

Please, try setting Number of media items to show in activity stream value to 7 and try uploading 20 media from activity upload.

Here is the admin setting screen where you will find this option - https://rtmedia.io/docs/settings/buddypress/

I hope this helps you.

Thanks.

Hi Pranali I did testing and this is not happening on other machines, only mine. I will do more research. Thanks for letting me know where that setting is that is great :slight_smile:

You are welcome, @AdamK

I am glad that it could be of your help.

I am closing this topic for now. Please, create new if you need any assistance in future.

Regards, Pranali