'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 (EE 3.3.8)

Continuing the discussion from 'ascii' codec can't decode issue:

This is supposed to have been fixed in 3.0.3, but I’m seeing similar error in EE 3.3.8 when I run “ee info”

'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 in position 684: ordinal not in range(128)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

@GeorgeAppiah

It depends on your local encoding config through which you connect to server. With my previous experience this issue is occured to the OSX users and Windows users mostly.

I’m on Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS – not Windows or OSX.

How do I fix this “local encoding config”?

Try this:

sudo locale-gen "en_US.UTF-8"

then logout from your server and login again

need more help?

go here http://askubuntu.com/questions/76013/how-do-i-add-locale-to-ubuntu-server and http://askubuntu.com/questions/162391/how-do-i-fix-my-locale-issue

1 Like

I do not really like to revive old/aging posts, but I stumbled across this issue in EE v3.7.4

So, it was either start a new thread, or revive this one. I flipped a coin :grin:

The error I’m getting reads:

'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

… and it occurs when i run the:

ee stack status

…command. It is displayed right after:

HHVM is not installed

…but never displays anything more than those two lines.

Obviously, I reviewed the details of this thread, though the solution did not work; nor did the solutions offered at the links suggested by @siprof

There was also details of a similar issue in EE 3.0.3 (see: 'ascii' codec can't decode issue), but again, the suggested fix didn’t work.

I only use Debian for my VPS.

I have a specific process I follow for every EE instance I deploy (I/we call it GLEEMPLE - Think ISO-like process for deployment).

I use Google Cloud Platform for every VPS I manage, except this one. This specific VPS is hosted in AZURE (Hey, don’t judge! :open_mouth: )

Yes, I did find a solution before posting this post. I am posting it anyway in hopes it will help someone else solve this problem.

env | grep LANG

…returned nothing, and:

locale

returned this:

…where I was able to identify that LANG was blank.

Finally, I was able to fix this issue by issuing the following command:

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8