Compile the latest nginx release from source with EasyEngine

Hello @josiahtoppin, I’m currently listing the steps I follow when I configure a vps with EasyEngine with all my configuration files on github :

2 Likes

That is some good info. I may do a refresh of my DO server (during the said free time) with that and re-import my Wordpress config. Cheers.

Any confirmation with Debian ?

I will try to run the script on debian, but my servers do not run with debian 8 anymore, due to several issues with the linux kernel 3.16.

So, debian 9?

EasyEngine doesn’t support debian 9, so I will not be able to use my bash script.

Release v1.3 :

• Nginx version : v1.13.8
  • added support for debian 8 jessie

Hi Virtubox, I just wanted to thank you. Your script runs flawlessly. Thanks a lot man! pls keep it updated.

Don’t worry, I will keep it up-to-date as long as possible. I’m using it on almost all my customers servers and I have also published a similar script for Plesk Onyx.

NIce. Do have better speed with the update?

I haven’t performed benchmark to compare Nginx 1.10.3 and Nginx 1.13.8, but the last nginx mainline release with brotli support, dynamic-tls-records and TLS1.3 support should improve the loading speed.

1 Like

I’ve improved my load times a lot using this guide:

1 Like

It’s a very good tutorial, but also pretty outdated.

I have used this excellent nginx.conf example to improve EE default configuration.

I’m trying (to find some free time) to centralized all my nginx/php/sysctl conf and then I will publish an article to explain step by step each part.

Currently you can find my current nginx.conf here :

3 Likes

Would be waiting for your article.

Thank you for this, @virtubox. Worked flawlessly.

I’ve upgraded my ee production server to nginx 1.13.x, PHP 7.2.x and MariaDB 10.2.x without encountering a single issue.

For anyone concerned about upgrading all three, try PHP 7.2.x first - there’s a noticeable performance improvement, particularly when using WordPress’s back end, between 7.0.x and 7.2.x.

Hello.

I’m using PHP 7.1.x because I believe it tends to have less impact on older plugins and themes my customers could be using.

Did you try 7.1 prior to 7.2? I’m wondering if you were able to compare both versions, and if you could share your impressions. :slight_smile:

I did consider trying 7.1 first, but decided to jump from 7.0 to 7.2 after doing a little research (and running 7.2 locally for a while with no issues).

What convinced me to make the jump was the fact that Kinsta has made 7.2 available to its customers - https://kinsta.com/blog/php-7-2/.

The one issue I’ve noticed is the error logs of sites using Jetpack contain this message:

"PHP message: PHP Warning:  count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /var/opt/wordpress/wp-includes/post-template.php on line 284"

Automattic and WordPress core are aware of the issue and it’ll no doubt be fixed soon. Other than that I’ve had no significant problems so far.

Thanks for your kind response. :slight_smile: I’m going to consider PHP 7.2.

Right now I have a couple customers with ancient, commercial templates with lots of warnings, but I think they are more related to WP version than PHP. It’s worth a try.

One last question regarding PHP 7.2: it doesn’t support mcrypt anymore; any issues on your sites because of this?

Thanks!

As @mrmad pointed out above, the default ee nginx Helper plugin no longer purges the FastCGI cache on content changes if you use @virtubox’s bash script to update to version 1.13.x . I didn’t want to use a page caching plugin like Simple Cache, so tested a couple of the other nginx purge plugins and discovered that Nginx Cache seems to work with 1.13.x. It’s simpler too - just add the location of the cache zone path to the plugin’s settings page (default is /var/run/nginx-cache) and enable flush cache on content changes.

@portofacil - I haven’t come across any issues yet regarding PHP 7.2’s lack of mcrypt support.

1 Like