EasyEngine beginner questions - Domain names/ip's

Hello guys, I’m new here!

I just had my first experience with easy engine and I was blown away! The speed of my wordpress installation on my vps is just incredible! I do have a few worries that I want to clear out before continuing working on it and potentially wasting lots of time.

I currently have a website and a domain name online with a US based registrar. I’m keep it up for now while I work on the new VPS setup.

I installed it without domain name and with an IP instead because that was the only way to be able to access the wordpress and check the website out for now (as it isnt attached to any domain yet)

1-Is it possible to change that IP name to an actual host name later (without breaking all the work I’ve done on that wordpress installation because that would be horrible) ? + how

2-What steps do I take to link my domain name with my current registrar to this vps setup instead of the current registrars hosting ?

3- Does easy engine have a built in firewall running ? if not, do you recommend running one ?

4- How do I go about getting an ssl cert installed (which I currently have on my registrar)

Thanks a ton people !

Hello @julliuz,

The easiest solution is probably to create another site (without removing the current one) with the command ee site create to use your domain instead of the server IP. Then, you will be able to drop the new wp site dabatase using phpymadmin and finally to dump the first wp database, before restoring it on your new site.

To link your domain, you just have to edit the A records currently set with your server IP

EasyEngine do not setup a firewall, you can take a look on my article to setup ufw :

About SSL certificates, you can use the EasyEngine letsencrypt module, with --letsencrypt or an additional script like ee-acme-sh

@virtubox is there an advantage to using the ee-acme-sh script over doing ee site update example.com --letsencrypt?

Hello @denny, the main advantages are :

• Domain, Subdomain & Wildcard SSL Certificates support
  • IPv6 Support
  • ECDSA Certificates with ECC 384 Bits private key
  • Automated Certificates Renewal (with no fail)

I have written the script because it was painful to generate SSL certificates manually on subdomains, and because there was too many issues with certs renewals. There are still some improvements to add, but it work properly and provide features missing with --letsencrypt

1 Like