Solved - Upgrade site php version fails w/ offloaded database

I have setup a site manually to use an external database by manually updating my wp-config.php and the original local mariadb database has been removed. (Offloaded mysql without remote access)

However, when I attempt to update my php version site update mydomain.com --php7 it complains about not being able to backup the database and fails.

Result from /var/log/ee/ee.log mysqldump: Got error: 1049: "Unknown database 'mydomain_com'" when selecting the database <- not the real database

Can I bypass this check somehow?

It is holding on the the original local db settings somewhere and the only thing I can think of is to create a dummy db w/ same user/pass as a means to temporarily get around this. Any ideas?

[update] I found a local database named ‘mysql’ and updated the ‘db’ table with proper host, db and user info as well as the ‘user’ table with proper host and user matching my remote sql and shouldn’t need to update the hashed passwords since I used the same passwords when I created the external databases.

The update still fails.

It then dawned on me that there is a remote sql write up here (https://easyengine.io/docs/remote-mysql/) but this requires more access than I have for the remote server.

I do have full grant privileges within the “database” the site uses but not root access to the sql server and the write up doesn’t explain how to setup individual db connections when one only has access to a database and not the actual mysql server.

i.e. there isn’t any mention of telling the .cnf what the db name is so the error I get is:

mysqldump: Got error: 1044: "Access denied for user 'mydb_user'@'local_server_ip' to database ‘old_db_name’" <- where the ‘my_db_user’ part is correct now, but the server IP and db name are not correct.

So back at square one, how to bypass the db backup function when wanting to update php from 5.6 to 7 so it doesn’t fail?

Doing everything the hard way…I ended up just creating a new local db named the same as the original and was able to upgrade without issues, even though of course the backup is of an empty db.